Eh, check the news page.

Re: Eh, check the news page.

Postby AndyinLiverpool on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:13 am

Too many solo projects. Like a man leaving his
wife at home, feeling comfortable. Gets a reminder.
it’s been beautiful. Teenage Fanclub without Gerry
isn’t Teenage Fanclub. John Lennon singing Something
is as pointless as Raymond singing Sparkys Dream. And that’s
my point right there. X
AndyinLiverpool
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Big Bazza on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:27 am

AndyinLiverpool wrote:Too many solo projects. Like a man leaving his
my point right there. X

Don't be daft, Andy. Teenage Fanclub started with Raymond and Norman, and it will continue with them. It'll be different, but it will still be Teenage Fanclub. And why shouldn't they play Gerry's songs? All the songs have a nominal songwriter, but they all contributed to all of the songs - harmonies, instrumentation, arrangement etc. AND they're not a band that has a habit of disappointing fans. Fans will expect to hear songs like Sparky's Dream and Don't Look Back so the boys will not let them down.
They've spent 30 years building a career and a legacy. Why give it all up because one member is no longer involved? Gerry's statement made it pretty clear that he was happy for them to continue and that it's all amicable.
Long live the Fanclub!
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Paul M on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:48 am

Big Bazza wrote:Gerry's statement made it pretty clear that he was happy for them to continue and that it's all amicable.

:?:

Must have missed this.......nothing on the news page, where is this statement?
Paul M
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Sifuentes on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:22 pm

I, for one, would be very disappointed to hear Norman and Raymond playing Gerry's songs without him. It would be like pouring salt on the wound instead of letting it heal. For the new version of the band to work I think they'd be better off filling out the set list with some of their own good songs that have rarely been played live.
If it doesn´t kill you, it´ll only make you stranger.
Sifuentes
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Georgia on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Paul M wrote:
Big Bazza wrote:Gerry's statement made it pretty clear that he was happy for them to continue and that it's all amicable.

Facebook. Don't have access at the moment to provide a link. Search for him or "Teenage Fanclub Fanclub". I think it's all public.
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Big Bazza on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Paul M wrote:

Gerry's statement on FB:

"I thought I should say a few words about the Teenage Fanclub situation.

From the outset I didn’t want to do these particular shows, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, specifically because of the flying involved. I flew around the world last year and it’s not something that I would want to do too often in my life. I equally didn’t want to stop anyone from making a living and so it’s completely acceptable to me that the band and crew are able to go ahead with the tour. I didn’t leave the group and I wasn’t kicked out, the idea of this tour eventually became a fork in the road and we have just agreed to go our separate ways. It’s not ideal for any of us but it’s as amicable as it can possibly be. We played a couple of shows at the weekend and I think the group’s still sounding pretty good. We have a couple more festival shows next week and then in October and November we have our full album nights where we get the chance to hook up with Brendan and Paul again. All good.

Change is natural and constant and I completely welcome it. All I can say is that I feel very lucky to have met Norman and Raymond all those years ago. Good innings. Thanks."
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Paul M on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks, I don't do Facebook.
It's a nice statement from Gerry. It would have been good to see this alongside the original announcement.
Paul M
hot dog
hot dog

Postby tarastew on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 pm

My hope is that when they tour to the Far East and Australia without Gerry, Norman and Raymond quickly determine Teenage Fanclub simply doesn't work without Gerry, his large part of the catalog or his singing and playing. In turn, Ray and Norm either invite Gerry back or shut the whole thing down and leave a great legacy of the original trio intact.

Selfishly, the former would probably make most of us the happiest but I'm good with a wrap-up if it's the latter. Most bands don't last 30 years, and if they do, almost every one is an oldies act out for the money with bastardized lineups. No thanks. I'd rather hear the solo projects.
tarastew
chipolata
chipolata

Postby burned on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:16 am

I'm still not clear why Gerry couldn't have decided to (or been permitted to) to skip this tour and resume normal service thereafter. I appreciate we've no divine right to know every detail but it seems odd that this wouldn't be the case.

Is there something deeper, perhaps? It seems the band perhaps has new management in light of the new website, increased social media presence, Creation re-releases, etc. Maybe there's a new approach (beyond the tour) that Gerry isn't fully on-board with...?
burned
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Richard67 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:53 pm

I for one would love to see Francis have songs featured on future TFC albums. His songs on solo and various BMX Bandits albums have always been great. His recent songs on the Francis Macdonald & Harry Pye album were fantastic. It may just soften the blow of Gerry leaving a little, maybe. Just a thought!

Richard67
andouillette
andouillette

Postby AndyinLiverpool on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:31 am

Big Bazza wrote:
AndyinLiverpool wrote:Too many solo projects. Like a man leaving his
my point right there. X

Don't be daft, Andy. Teenage Fanclub started with Raymond and Norman, and it will continue with them. It'll be different, but it will still be Teenage Fanclub. And why shouldn't they play Gerry's songs? All the songs have a nominal songwriter, but they all contributed to all of the songs - harmonies, instrumentation, arrangement etc. AND they're not a band that has a habit of disappointing fans. Fans will expect to hear songs like Sparky's Dream and Don't Look Back so the boys will not let them down.
They've spent 30 years building a career and a legacy. Why give it all up because one member is no longer involved? Gerry's statement made it pretty clear that he was happy for them to continue and that it's all amicable.
Long live the Fanclub!

I wasn’t being “spikey” Baz. I just don’t get what it would do, carrying on. Norman and Raymond should pull the plug. Do other things. If it’s not Teenage Fanclub, why work under that name? Doesn’t make sense to me. Some things are best left alone. Just seems right that this is one of them. I’m sure they’re too sensible to carry on. Why would you? It’s been a beautiful ride. It needs turning off now. X
AndyinLiverpool
chorizo
chorizo

Previous

Return to Message Board