Eh, check the news page.

Re: Eh, check the news page.

Postby AndyinLiverpool on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:41 am

Gerry leaving the band means that certain songs are now gone if the remaining members continue to perform live. The reason ‘The Beatles’, split is because one announced their intention to leave, leaving the other 2 (Ringo was a human drum machine) to go along with this amicable split etc or risk being a bit silly. The official Teenage Fanclub statement release was so cold. Norman and Raymond must be devastated to allow such a statement to be released. Gerry must have done or said something pretty awful for NB or RMcG to allow this to be released. Either way, Teenage Fanclub without the 3 of them ceases to be Teenage Fanclub. The released statement sounds quite bitter. Maybe time to let go of something amazing before it turns into something quite awful. X
AndyinLiverpool
chorizo
chorizo

Postby Kowalski on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:03 am

Sad, but put things into perspective..no-one has died or dying....
Kowalski
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles
"tom is a sex god" - Beyonce Knowles

Postby Nicene Creeder on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 am

I'm relaxing on the beach in beautiful Hawaii at the moment and have to read this news? Good luck to the band that has produced glorious tunes over the past 28 years. Hopefully we will hear more tunes over next few years. Hopefully everyone is healthy. For a band of guys to stick together as well as these guys have is a tribute to their art and sweetness. Mahalo for the many years of music. Keep it coming.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/teenage- ... st-2368926
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby ronando2 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Sad news. I kind of expected them to go on forever, such was the lack of obvious disharmony between them all.

I love them all, but my favourite songs are usually Gerry's at a push. He will be missed. I don't think it'll be quite the same without him.

If any of the guys ever read this, thanks so much for all the pleasure you've given us over the last number of years. Wishing you all the best for the future.

Very glad I raided the piggy bank to organise a trip to London for what will now be Gerry's last shows.
ronando2
chipolata
chipolata

Postby kurt on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Thirty years is an incredible run. Simply remarkable. Can't express how much joy I've gotten from the music. Sad to see this change, but hopeful that there are many great tunes yet to hear from all three songwriters.
kurt
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Georgia on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Lousy news and of course wish all parties the best of success whatever their plans.

Just think the announcement was total crap. It actually kind of pisses me off. Why announce this now and rain all over their own celebration parade? Instead of a party it feels like people have bought tickets to a funeral. Yeah, I know, no one has literally died. An idea has died for some fans who take them really close to heart, though. I'm not even speaking about me personally. But these fans take better care of the TFC legend than they do. That's maybe as it should be, I don't know. For once, I think they should not be so unassuming. Recognize it's a big deal to their biggest fans and say something other than this.... this.... blech. Play the shows, then announce it. Plus it totally eclipses the specialness of inviting Brendan and Paul back. Shooting themselves in the foot. I can think of a number of better ways to have put this news out there. Poorly done.

Long live Teenage Fanclub, whatever they may mean to you.
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Paul M on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:56 pm

heykatieann2 wrote:(And, er, needless to say - if anyone has an extra ticket to any October Glasgow or November London shows, drop me a line!)

Off topic but there may be a few left on sale officially. I think the only ones I've seen listed are for Night 3 in London (Howdy + assorted B sides & extras).
Paul M
hot dog
hot dog

Postby kinksfan29 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 pm

One of my favorite groups "The Jayhawks" has Mark Olson who leaves the band and comes back again all the time.
You never know...Gerry might come back again too at some point.
kinksfan29
hot dog
hot dog

Postby WarmJets on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Fuck...Just fucking fuck.

Why does this hurt so much? Kinda silly, at my age. True, through.

Thank you Gerry for, of course, all the tunes, but also all of the INCREDIBLE basslines over the last near-30-years. All-time tunesmith, all-time bassist, all-time table tennis enthusiast!

Goddam it, I'm going to miss you chewing gum onstage. But what a run!

LOVE
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Ruthiepoos on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 pm

I was thinking of Superchunk. Several years ago bassist Laura Ballance was advised to stop touring to save her hearing. She still writes and records though. The last couple of tours they had Jason Narducy playing with them. Laura hasn't left the band though.

I found the official statement yesterday really disturbing! So many questions! And the message kinda took my breath away, totally unexpected. Gerry's status update today on Facebook was so warm and reassuring in comparison.

I'm still really sad, but hopeful to hear more Lightships stuff or other Gerry stuff.

I've read some really 'out there' comments today, of the 'too honey' Google translate variety, for anyone who remembers that. It's crazy and ridiculous!

I had to put a brave face on yesterday as I was at a nephew's wedding, but promised myself a pizza and pudding today to console myself, which I've just eaten; toppings of BBQ chicken and tears.
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby WarmJets on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:I've read some really 'out there' comments today, of the 'too honey' Google translate variety, for anyone who remembers that. It's crazy and ridiculous!

I'm a wreck, no doubt about it.

Are you referencing that 'confirmed bachelor' thing from a million years ago here? If not, I have no clue and am curious as to what your referencing.

C'Mon, Ger...say it ain't so!
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Nicene Creeder on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:54 am

I think it's fair to make the announcement for the fans in Japan, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand before those shows. Norman and Raymond, Francis and Dave want to tour and spread the TFC love. You know that touring is tough, one night here, one night there. It's tough for fans to canvass the world or even their country to see the band. And while a little R&R is great to break up the shows, it eats into the bottom line.

Georgia wrote:Lousy news and of course wish all parties the best of success whatever their plans.

Just think the announcement was total crap. It actually kind of pisses me off. Why announce this now and rain all over their own celebration parade? Instead of a party it feels like people have bought tickets to a funeral. Yeah, I know, no one has literally died. An idea has died for some fans who take them really close to heart, though. I'm not even speaking about me personally. But these fans take better care of the TFC legend than they do. That's maybe as it should be, I don't know. For once, I think they should not be so unassuming. Recognize it's a big deal to their biggest fans and say something other than this.... this.... blech. Play the shows, then announce it. Plus it totally eclipses the specialness of inviting Brendan and Paul back. Shooting themselves in the foot. I can think of a number of better ways to have put this news out there. Poorly done.

Long live Teenage Fanclub, whatever they may mean to you.
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Ruthiepoos on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 am

WarmJets wrote:
Ruthiepoos wrote:I've read some really 'out there' comments today, of the 'too honey' Google translate variety, for anyone who remembers that. It's crazy and ridiculous!

I'm a wreck, no doubt about it.

Are you referencing that 'confirmed bachelor' thing from a million years ago here? If not, I have no clue and am curious as to what your referencing.

C'Mon, Ger...say it ain't so!

This is the thread. Sounded like insults via google translate. 'Too honey' became vernacular for a while.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41479

Now I want to know what the 'confirmed bachelor' is all about!
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Georgia on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Nicene Creeder wrote:I think it's fair to make the announcement for the fans in Japan, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand before those shows. Norman and Raymond, Francis and Dave want to tour and spread the TFC love. You know that touring is tough, one night here, one night there. It's tough for fans to canvass the world or even their country to see the band. And while a little R&R is great to break up the shows, it eats into the bottom line.

Agree it's good to announce his absence from those dates. Hold the news that he's leaving TFC altogether for later, is what I meant.
Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Liam1994 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:42 pm

As a middle-aged man who does not feel comfortable on planes I can perfectly understand Gerry's motives. Life on tour might be a treat, when you're in your twenties, but it might be a drag, when your're thirty years older. Nevertheless the breakup makes me sadder than it should be. Why should I - a middle-aged man - be bothered by a band splitting up? I'm not a teenage girl and TFC fortunately are not The Backstreet Boys. But here I am, sad about Gerry leaving TFC. At the same time I feel honoured to witness the last show of the "real" Teenage Fanclub ever. If I should have been in doubt, whether the Camden gigs justify me coming over from Germany, I'm not any more. I hope those gigs will be a celebration
For the future: I'm looking forward to what Norman and Raymond will be doing as I always dug their work outside of TFC, but it definitely will not be the same. @norman: Have you ever considered a change of name for the band?
Liam1994
chipolata
chipolata

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board