LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby ricv64 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 am

fuck yeah !
'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst

Postby WarmJets on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:55 am

Can’t do it. No Gerry, just can’t. It’s horrible. Especially w no idea who’s taking his spot. I just never thought the troika would end. I’ve been depressed for 3 weeks. First time in almost 30 years I’m not going. Fuck. Now I’m bummed again! God bless TFC, and THANK YOU ALL.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Nicene Creeder on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:16 am

It's tough. The triangle of TFC makes it hard to overcome. The trinity of rock. Gerry's songs over the past 25 years have been my favorite. I almost stopped him walking on 7th Street east of the Teragram the last time the band were in town, but I didn't want to disturb him. But we still have Norm, Ray and Francis. I'll be there.

WarmJets wrote:Can’t do it. No Gerry, just can’t. It’s horrible. Especially w no idea who’s taking his spot. I just never thought the troika would end. I’ve been depressed for 3 weeks. First time in almost 30 years I’m not going. Fuck. Now I’m bummed again! God bless TFC, and THANK YOU ALL.
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Philip624 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 am

That is some serious amount of touring booked in for next year, band are surprisingly very active now as its only a short time since Here was toured extensively. I was expecting them to disappear for another five years. Not that I am complaining. I wonder if a new record will be earlier than usual this time.
Philip624
chipolata
chipolata

Postby tarastew on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:33 pm

New music? Yes, Norman alluded to it in the Merge Records press release regarding the American tour:

"McGinley and Blake have nothing but praise for their bandmate; they’ll miss his contributions, but they’re more excited than ever to make songs together—including, sooner than later, brand-new ones. “The three of us have spread the burden of songwriting over the years, so there will be a bit more work involved creatively,” says Blake. “We don’t feel pressure to get somebody in as a songwriter to replace Gerry. Whatever happens, I know that we’ll create something that we’ll be happy to put our name behind.”
tarastew
chipolata
chipolata

Postby WarmJets on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 pm

It just doesn’t make sense to me. If Norman had opted out there’s no way that Ray and Gerard would’ve continued. Thing is, Gerard is just as canonical. I’m not saying don’t continue—it’s just not Fanclub without Gerry (or Norman or Ray). I know changing the name is business suicide, but it just seems too blasé to act as if this isn’t a systemic disruption. No offense, but it’s not Finlay.

I just always thought one day they’d bow out together, one of the most legendary, long-lasting, and most beautiful unions in music history. I know that’s my platonic ideal though, and matters naught. I’m just flabbergasted and it feels as if the import is being shunted. With their Lennon and McCartney duality (Ray is George, of course), how does one leave and we’re expected to just carry on as if nothing serious happened?

Yes, I’m being melodramatic and a little kid about this. But I’m also genuinely gutted that THE band that defined my life has splintered.

Fuck.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Richard67 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:41 am

I mentioned this on another thread but I'd love to see Francis have songs featured on future TFC records now. His songs on various BMX Bandits and solo albums have always been fantastic. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for a TFC singing drummer :) It may just lessen the blow of Gerry leaving slightly. Just a thought!

Richard67
andouillette
andouillette

Postby burned on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 am

Philip624 wrote:That is some serious amount of touring booked in for next year, band are surprisingly very active now as its only a short time since Here was toured extensively. I was expecting them to disappear for another five years. Not that I am complaining. I wonder if a new record will be earlier than usual this time.

Definitely seems to be a different approach to things compared to the usual laissez-faire TFC we're used to. The website is over-hauled, a greater social media presence, the Creation records re-issued with the supporting tour and now tours of Australia and NA.

Must be new management or something and maybe Gerry's not totally happy with the new approach. Not that he's a lazy sod or anything, of course, but maybe he preferred the previous laid-back approach and felt it wasn't for him anymore...?
burned
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Nicene Creeder on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:02 am

The one thing I am still not 100% clear about is whether Gerry is completely out of TFC forever or if he's just not touring with them this go around in 2019.
His statement is "I didn't leave the group and I wasn't kicked out, the idea of this tour eventually became a fork in the road and we have just agreed to go our separate ways." Whether he will still be making music with them and/or touring with them in the future still is unclear to me.

Ticketmaster should be using an edited picture of the band without Gerry though.
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Big Bazza on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:26 am

Nicene Creeder wrote:The one thing I am still not 100% clear about is whether Gerry is completely out of TFC forever or if he's just not touring with them this go around in 2019.
His statement is "I didn't leave the group and I wasn't kicked out, the idea of this tour eventually became a fork in the road and we have just agreed to go our separate ways." Whether he will still be making music with them and/or touring with them in the future still is unclear to me.

Ticketmaster should be using an edited picture of the band without Gerry though.

It's not just the touring, it is "seperate ways" completely. Norman has said that he and Raymond are looking forward to creating more new music together.
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Sifuentes on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:59 am

If Norman's "looking forward" to creating new music, why does he have to describe songwriting as a "burden". Oh well.
If it doesn´t kill you, it´ll only make you stranger.
Sifuentes
chipolata
chipolata

Postby WarmJets on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Any idea as to who in the fuck will be playing bass? Gerard’s a very idiosyncratic bassist; you can hear three notes and spot him. He’s developed into a nimble yet subtle monster of a player over the years. I’ve no interest in Random Bassist 9 just plodding away on the low E. An announcement would go a long way toward helping people decide if they’re buying tickets. I know quite a few who are sitting on their hands pending news.
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Big Bazza on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 am

WarmJets wrote:Any idea as to who in the fuck will be playing bass? Gerard’s a very idiosyncratic bassist; you can hear three notes and spot him. He’s developed into a nimble yet subtle monster of a player over the years. I’ve no interest in Random Bassist 9 just plodding away on the low E. An announcement would go a long way toward helping people decide if they’re buying tickets. I know quite a few who are sitting on their hands pending news.

I'd be very surprised if Dave doesn't switch to bass, with somebody else coming in on keys. He's a fantastic bass player. (Although I imagine his Belle and Sebastian commitments will have to be looked at first.)
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Next

Return to Message Board