North America Tour Spring 2019

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby burned on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 am

Big Bazza wrote:
WarmJets wrote:Any idea as to who in the fuck will be playing bass? Gerard’s a very idiosyncratic bassist; you can hear three notes and spot him. He’s developed into a nimble yet subtle monster of a player over the years. I’ve no interest in Random Bassist 9 just plodding away on the low E. An announcement would go a long way toward helping people decide if they’re buying tickets. I know quite a few who are sitting on their hands pending news.


I'd be very surprised if Dave doesn't switch to bass, with somebody else coming in on keys. He's a fantastic bass player. (Although I imagine his Belle and Sebastian commitments will have to be looked at first.)


That makes sense alright...
User avatar
burned
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby jellyfish on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:33 pm

I am going to hit up Madison and Chicago for sure. I just found out about Gerard leaving, and that bums me out. He does the lead vocals on several of my favourite songs. However, the fact that I can still see one of my favourite bands 25 years after the first time I saw them delights me. I can't wait :D :D :D
Tell your sins to me and I'll do them all over with you
User avatar
jellyfish
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby Charlotte on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Whaaaaaat???
I see a Denver show for March 2, 2019???
Do I believe my eyes?
Fuck yes!!!
Very existing, indeed : )
Charlotte
chorizo
chorizo
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby Alex H on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:07 pm

jellyfish wrote:I am going to hit up Madison and Chicago for sure. I just found out about Gerard leaving, and that bums me out. He does the lead vocals on several of my favourite songs. However, the fact that I can still see one of my favourite bands 25 years after the first time I saw them delights me. I can't wait :D :D :D

That's the spirit. :) It's a bummer Gerry has left but I was pleased for the people who'll be able to see TFC as a result, who wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm also delighted they're continuing. We're never sure if there will be another album, but post-Here seems the most optimistic I remember next-album wise.
NotTheCakes.bandcamp.com "Usually lighthearted and fun, but occasionally dark...like The Clash tickling Spandau Ballet and accidentally beheading them."
(Also available to stream in all sorts of places)
User avatar
Alex H
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Staffordshire
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby Big Bazza on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 am

Big Bazza wrote:
WarmJets wrote:Any idea as to who in the fuck will be playing bass? Gerard’s a very idiosyncratic bassist; you can hear three notes and spot him. He’s developed into a nimble yet subtle monster of a player over the years. I’ve no interest in Random Bassist 9 just plodding away on the low E. An announcement would go a long way toward helping people decide if they’re buying tickets. I know quite a few who are sitting on their hands pending news.


I'd be very surprised if Dave doesn't switch to bass, with somebody else coming in on keys. He's a fantastic bass player. (Although I imagine his Belle and Sebastian commitments will have to be looked at first.)



Well, here you have it:

"It’s 2019, and so far this year we have shows lined up in Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, U.S.A., Germany, France, Netherlands, Spain, Finland, Sweden, Norway, and also on a boat out in the Mediterranean somewhere. Of course, all of us are really looking forward to all of it. On the subject of “all of us”, we have some news on that front - the Teenage Fanclub line-up on stage for these shows will be: Norman Blake – guitar / vocals, Euros Childs – keyboards / vocals, Francis Macdonald - drums / vocals, Raymond McGinley - guitars / vocals, and Dave McGowan – bass / vocals. We’re excited to welcome Euros into the band, he’s worked with us in the studio before and we go back a long way. And Dave on bass, oh yeah.

So, for these shows coming up, what can you expect? As ever you can expect us to do what we want, but what we want to do at the moment is dig a bit deeper into the back catalogue and play songs we haven’t played for years, so expect to hear things in the setlist beyond what you might have heard in recent years. And we’ve been working on new songs too, so maybe expect to hear a couple of those too."
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
User avatar
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella
 
Posts: 8367
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:19 am
Location: In your heart and soul Baby
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby gobbledygeek on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Saw their show last night in Vancouver kicking off their North American tour.

Kinda like seeing the Beatles without their original bassist, but it's still the Beatles, so good show overall. :)

GgettingoldereverydayG
In a hundred years you and I will both be dead.
User avatar
gobbledygeek
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:52 pm
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby ricv64 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:32 pm

review of last night tear the roof off the Fillmore session

http://www.riffmagazine.com/reviews/tee ... -20190225/
'what matchbook art school did you flunk out of, you ham-fisted, near-sighted, house painter?'-- C. Montgomery Burns
User avatar
ricv64
currywurst
currywurst
 
Posts: 6732
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Lost and asleep on the maZn great highway
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby Nicene Creeder on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 am

Nice.

On the other hand, fucking ticketmaster fucked up my ticket order (I bought the tix in September) and their website wouldn't allow me access to my tickets for tonight's show (I've got tix for tomorrows show as well and was able to print them - not chancing another fuckup).

ricv64 wrote:review of last night tear the roof off the Fillmore session

http://www.riffmagazine.com/reviews/tee ... -20190225/
LAter

NC
User avatar
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:40 am
Location: Here
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby Nicene Creeder on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:38 am

Great show tonight. Luke Wood from the band Sammy joined on the last song, Everything Flows. I told Norm to hydrate (each band member had two bottles of water). Just one song not on the set list added, "What You Do To Me". Missed Gerry, but Ray and Norm stepped it up.
LAter

NC
User avatar
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:40 am
Location: Here
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby gobbledygeek on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Nicene Creeder wrote:Great show tonight. Luke Wood from the band Sammy joined on the last song, Everything Flows. I told Norm to hydrate (each band member had two bottles of water). Just one song not on the set list added, "What You Do To Me". Missed Gerry, but Ray and Norm stepped it up.


Oooh, totally jelly of getting to hear "What You Do To Me", I'm 0/3 for on hearing that one. Next time please!

GwalkeddowntheaisletothattuneG
In a hundred years you and I will both be dead.
User avatar
gobbledygeek
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:52 pm
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby Nicene Creeder on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:26 am

Norm said he was getting over a sickness which had prevented him from singing it earlier on tour.

I note that over on Terge's site it looks as if he still doesn't believe me that Sammy opened for band when they played the Roxy in November 1994. Not sure when the debut of Gerry's "Don't Look Back" was, but I know they played it at that show (I didn't know the official name), because I hummed it for six months until Grand Prix was released in 1995.

gobbledygeek wrote:
Nicene Creeder wrote:Great show tonight. Luke Wood from the band Sammy joined on the last song, Everything Flows. I told Norm to hydrate (each band member had two bottles of water). Just one song not on the set list added, "What You Do To Me". Missed Gerry, but Ray and Norm stepped it up.


Oooh, totally jelly of getting to hear "What You Do To Me", I'm 0/3 for on hearing that one. Next time please!

GwalkeddowntheaisletothattuneG
LAter

NC
User avatar
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:40 am
Location: Here
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby WarmJets on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Nicene Creeder wrote:Norm said he was getting over a sickness which had prevented him from singing it earlier on tour.

I note that over on Terge's site it looks as if he still doesn't believe me that Sammy opened for band when they played the Roxy in November 1994. Not sure when the debut of Gerry's "Don't Look Back" was, but I know they played it at that show (I didn't know the official name), because I hummed it for six months until Grand Prix was released in 1995.

gobbledygeek wrote:
Nicene Creeder wrote:Great show tonight. Luke Wood from the band Sammy joined on the last song, Everything Flows. I told Norm to hydrate (each band member had two bottles of water). Just one song not on the set list added, "What You Do To Me". Missed Gerry, but Ray and Norm stepped it up.


Oooh, totally jelly of getting to hear "What You Do To Me", I'm 0/3 for on hearing that one. Next time please!

GwalkeddowntheaisletothattuneG


Hey—I was at that show! Was also the debut of Paul. Norman introduced him, and my friend started yelling, ‘Where’s Brendan?!?’ And would not stop. We were all mortified.
Also the only show I’ve ever been to where a different friend snuck in a foot-long bong. How does that even happen?
It's all in my mind
It's all in my mind...
User avatar
WarmJets
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 5:05 am
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby BZ on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:35 am

Great show in Toronto last night!

It was a bit of a hometown gig for Norman, with him living in nearby Kitchener and having some family and friends in the crowd. I'm sure he wanted to impress, and the band didn't disappoint. Uptempo numbers like "Catholic Education" were highlights. Why has that song been in hibernation for so long? It's ideal for a live setting and features some excellent drumming from Francis. They even did a fake sound check afterwards to catch their breaths and Norman joked, "There's really nothing wrong with the bass drum."

I think people are sleeping on "Everything is Falling Apart." It's a real grower and one of the songs I enjoyed most from the show.

Aside from a Bonham drum mix when they opened with "About You," the sound was pretty good at the Phoenix. Euros keyboards could have been a little louder, but no one was buried. The band harmonized well and Euros did a nice job with the high parts on "Alcoholiday" and the back half of "The Concept."

All of the albums, except The King, were represented in the set list. If I were to quibble, I think they could have replaced one or two mid-tempo numbers with something either faster or slower. One of Norman's songs from Howdy! would have been welcome.

Having only been to one prior Fannies show, and it being a rare occasion when they didn't play "Everything Flows," it was nice to finally hear it live. The band must be sick to death of playing it, but it didn't show. With Brendan Canning from Broken Social Scene playing some additional guitar (and clearly having a blast), they closed the show with an energetic rendition.

Thanks for a fun night out, TFC! :D
Last edited by BZ on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
BZ
chipolata
chipolata
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:52 am
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby *heather* on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:04 pm

excited for the amtrak northeast regional leg of the tour...

:)
User avatar
*heather*
andouillette
andouillette
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:49 am
Top

Re: North America Tour Spring 2019

Postby plcmat on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 pm

I would be. Boston was awesome but will most likely have to miss NYC.
Hold my life till I'm ready to use it.
User avatar
plcmat
hot dog
hot dog
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:57 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron