Best Rock & Roll Era Christmas Songs

Best Rock & Roll Era Christmas Songs

Postby Nicene Creeder on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:21 am

I kind of date rock 'n roll's beginning to a couple of years from the birth of the long player LP 12" in Sept 1948. So let's say 1950. So we have nearly 70 years of unique Christmas songs to choose from. The one caveat is that the song has to be written after 1949 (and can be performed by whomever).

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Darlene Love (Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, Phil Spector)
Just Like Christmas - Low
Christmas All Over Again - Tom Petty
Jesus Christ - Big Star
Father Christmas - The Kinks
Run Rudolph Run - Chuck Berry (Johnny Marks)
Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
Happy Xmas (War is Over) - John Lennon
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee (Johnny Marks)
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams (Edward Pola, George Wyle)
Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano

For instrumentals, Christmas Time Is Here - Vince Guaraldi, and Christmas Song - Mogwai are both stark and hopeful.

Best rock cover version of a song dating written before 1950 for me is the live recording of Bruce Springsteen's Santa Claus is Coming To Town.
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Re: Best Rock & Roll Era Christmas Songs

Postby Alex H on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Most of those are on my Christmas playlist. It's a long one so it's difficult to remember them all: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4l0fB ... 1o8jv4Sah2

Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses and I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake are two favourites you didn't mention. Kiss You in the Snow by The School, for a lesser known one.
NotTheCakes.bandcamp.com "Usually lighthearted and fun, but occasionally dark...like The Clash tickling Spandau Ballet and accidentally beheading them."
(Also available to stream in all sorts of places)
Alex H
chipolata
chipolata

Re: Best Rock & Roll Era Christmas Songs

Postby Nicene Creeder on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:23 am

Good catch.

Do You Hear What I Hear is from 1962 (and sort of traditional), but I'm not sure if there is a rock n' roll performance (covers by Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Whitney Houston, et al)?

Please Come Home For Christmas by Charles Brown as a hit in 1961 and early 1970's (covered by the Eagles).

Christmas Time is Here Again! by The Beatles was a Christmas fanclub flexi single in 1967.

Paul McCartney did Wonderful Christmastime.

Last Christmas by Wham! Okay it's Wham.

Christmas Eve by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci (covered by Teenage Fanclub).

Must Be Santa (Moore, Fredericks) (covered by Mitch Miller, Tommy Steele, Bob Dylan).

Come on! Let's Boogey To The Elf Dance! by Sufjan Stevens.

We're Going To The Country by Sufjan Stevens.

Santa's Got A GTO - Ramona's

Alex H wrote:Most of those are on my Christmas playlist. It's a long one so it's difficult to remember them all: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4l0fB ... 1o8jv4Sah2

Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses and I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake are two favourites you didn't mention. Kiss You in the Snow by The School, for a lesser known one.
LAter

NC
Nicene Creeder
andouillette
andouillette

Return to Message Board