Euros!

Euros!

Postby BZ on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:07 am

I'm surprised no one has posted anything yet about Euros Childs joining the band. What are your thoughts?

I was expecting the announcement of a bassist, so I was bit confused when I saw Euros in the band photo on the main page. Apparently, Dave is moving over to bass.

Do you think this lineup is only for the current touring commitments or will it remain intact for the foreseeable future?

Will the sets consist only of Norman and Ray songs?

It would be interesting to hear an album with this lineup, especially if Euros contributed songs.

Anyway, I think his joining the band makes sense. I'm excited about it!
BZ
chipolata
chipolata

Re: Euros!

Postby duglas on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:22 pm

I think it's great that Euros is becoming part of the group. I've been a fan of his work since hearing Miss Trudy many years ago.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Liam1994 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm

They have ditched all of Gerry's Songs. Which is consistent, but a huge loss nevertheless.
Euros' and Norman's voices match quite well, as everybody who knows the Jonny-Album will confirm. On the other hand Euros' voice is very VERY distinctive, I can't see him singing all of Gerry's parts yet.

Perhaps they should call the band "Jonny Ray"?
Liam1994
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Ruthiepoos on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 am

Liam1994 wrote:They have ditched all of Gerry's Songs. Which is consistent, but a huge loss nevertheless.
Euros' and Norman's voices match quite well, as everybody who knows the Jonny-Album will confirm. On the other hand Euros' voice is very VERY distinctive, I can't see him singing all of Gerry's parts yet.

I'm not delighted by this either. It's going to be odd not hearing some of my favourite songs in the world at a Teenage Fanclub gig. But I'm not sure how delighted I'd be to hear anyone else singing them. It's not a great choice to have to make as a band.

I love Euros and I loved Jonny. The gigs seem to be going very well judging from the pics and clips I've seen online.
I LOVE my TFC umbrella! :-)
Ruthiepoos
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby Paul M on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Let's admit that if this touring line showed up in your town and played the setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/teenage- ... 53822.html
it would be a great show. The new songs sound promising (I guess Ray and Norman have to write 4-6 each rather than 3-4 for any future album)

Obviously there is a sadness but I really didn't (and don't) expect to hear Gerry songs sung by someone other than Gerry and since he's gone then..............at least there are the albums.

I was wondering the other day what happened to the second Jonny album - I seem to remember Norman saying the songs were written ages ago. Maybe it was a dream I had?
Paul M
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Big Bazza on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm

The album was all recorded a few years ago. It's an album of covers of Joe Meek songs (to be called Jonny Remembers Me, or something along those lines). The last time I spoke to Norman about it (maybe a year or so ago) it had still to be mixed.
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Big Bazza on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm

Since posting that, I've just found a recent interview with Norman:

"MR: Excellent. So with him around, is there a possibility for that 2nd Jonny album, which was talked about in 2015 but which never actually dropped?

NB: You know what, there is actually! We’ve got some ideas for it but it’s been on the back-burner for a bit. We’re working on that, we also made a Joe Meek tribute record as Jonny which is complete; we just have to release it. We covered 12 songs that Joe Meek either produced, wrote, or recorded, and it’s called “Jonny Remembers Him.” That one will definitely come out in the next year or so, and obviously we’ll try and make the next Jonny record as soon as."

https://www.montrealrocks.ca/interview-teenage-fanclub/?fbclid=IwAR2gwpIpVJWSd5J0C5DrQ5sZw4mXixfmoLyLgO-Nm4DJ2tKaJGRg6K4NtgM
“Do as I say, not as I do” – The Hypocritic Oath © N Blake 2009
Big Bazza
mortadella
mortadella

Postby Paul M on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks for that. Good to know I didn't imagine it.
Paul M
hot dog
hot dog

Postby BZ on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:27 pm

duglas wrote:I think it's great that Euros is becoming part of the group. I've been a fan of his work since hearing Miss Trudy many years ago.

Great tune! The Gorky's comp "20" was my introduction to them. I'm guessing the spoken voice in that song, and in others like "The Wizard and the Lizard," were a nod to Jonathan Richman.
BZ
chipolata
chipolata

Postby BZ on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Ruthiepoos wrote:
Liam1994 wrote:They have ditched all of Gerry's Songs. Which is consistent, but a huge loss nevertheless.

I'm not delighted by this either. It's going to be odd not hearing some of my favourite songs in the world at a Teenage Fanclub gig. But I'm not sure how delighted I'd be to hear anyone else singing them. It's not a great choice to have to make as a band.

I love Euros and I loved Jonny. The gigs seem to be going very well judging from the pics and clips I've seen online.

At least they didn't get the guy from Alkaline Trio to sing Gerry's songs. ;)

I think it's best that their setlists remain Love-less. It's cool that Norman and Ray are playing some songs that haven't been performed in a while, but it would be nice if Euros contributed songs and did some lead vocals as well.

Their recent airing of "Catholic Education" was great! I hope they dust off some more tunes from that album.
BZ
chipolata
chipolata

Return to Message Board